Inclement Weather Information
Coos Bay School District
Ice or Snow, Do We Go....to School?
The school district administration puts a great deal of effort and thought into determining whether to adjust the school schedule due to inclement weather. Each time a decision is made, many different interests and issues are taken into consideration; the primary decision factor is student safety. Of course, parents make the final decision when sending students to school during inclement weather.
When are decisions made? School district officials do their best to make the decision by no later than 5:30am. If there is a decision to have a two-hour delay, snow route, or school closure information will be posted on the District website: cbd9.net, Facebook and Twitter. To be notified of school delays, closures, or other emergencies, make sure to sign-up for FlashAlert.
We encourage families to make transportation and attendance decisions for their child(ren) based on their own assessment of travel conditions at their location.
When all district schools and facilities are closed
- All daytime and evening school activities/events on closure days are canceled.
When there is a 2-hour delay in opening school
- All schools will open two hours later than regularly scheduled.
- When will my bus come?
- Bus routes follow the same schedule as our schools. For example, if schools are delayed two hours, bus riders can expect the bus to come approximately two hours late. On the occasion when roads are not passable, the buses may use snow routes.
- If snow routes are implemented, that information will be a part of the communication. Routes are posted on the transportation page.
When school is on time and buses are on Snow Routes
- All schools operate on regular daily schedules.
- Routes impacted by snow & ice are on a two-hour delay
- Snow routes are posted on the transportation page.
- If the weather forecast calls for declining weather conditions throughout the day, the district will implement snow routes for PM dismissal.
When weather conditions necessitate an early closure of schools
- We encourage you to refer to the CBSD website and local media for more detailed information.
- All daytime and evening activities/events are canceled.
Early Release School Days
- If there is inclement weather on an early release day, the District will decide the schedule on a case-by-case basis and notify parents appropriately.
FIRST STUDENT SNOW/ICE ROUTES
In the event of Snow/Ice, there will be areas that our buses will not be able to safely travel on. They are listed below by Route #. The stops highlighted in red will be where those students can access transportation on the days we have snow/icy routes only in part of the district. If the weather forecast calls for declining weather conditions throughout the day, the district will implement snow/ice routes for afternoon dismissal at the same pick-up location. If you have questions, please call 541-888-9131.
Rt. 3: We will not go into Green acres (HWY 42) — pull out at top just before Green Acres and Hwy 42. 6:40
Rt 11: No Steinsmith Rd
Rt. 12, 17, 54: Flanagan Rd, Bay Park -Lighthouse School.
Rt. 12-6:45 Rt.17-7:10 Rt. 54-6:50
Rt. 18, 15: Isthmus Heights, Isthmus Cut Off — corner of Olive Barber and Isthmus cut off 6:30
Rt. 16, 30, 52: Pennsylvania, California — SW Blvd & Pennsylvania/California.
Rt. 16- Pennsylvania 7:13 California 7:15 Rt. 30- California 6:30 Pennsylvania 6:35,
Rt. 52- Pennsylvania 6:55 California 7:00
Rt. 29, 25: Seven Devils Rd. — Chucks Seafood.
Rt. 25-6:35 Rt. 29-6:45
Rt. 48, 20, 29: Radar, Prefontaine, Inlet Lane will meet at Ocean & Radar (Old Nissan lot).
Rt. 29- 7:35 Rt.48-7:10 Rt.20-7:10
Kentucky and Fulton and Blanco - Will meet at bottom of Rd. on Morrison
Rt. 29-7:20 Rt. 48-7:14 Rt. 20- 7:15
Rt. 32, 44: Bus 32 will not run. Students will meet bus 44 @ West Fork, HWY 241- Old Rooke- Higgins Campground (pullout) will meet Rt. 44- 6:50. Bus will get students on East Bay Rd.
Rt.44 Will pick up 16th St & Evergreen on 16" St & Coos River HWY. 7:15
Rt. 35: Blue Ridge, Stock Slough — Intersection of Stock Slough & Catching Slough. - 6:40 Will pick up 39’s students for Coos Sumner Lane & Sealander Intersection Sealander & S. Sumner 6:55
Rt. 39: will pick up all Old Wagon students for 39, 15, and 18- at the intersection of Old Wagon and Ross Inlet 6:50
E, F, and H Streets — 7th and F St.-7:15 7th and E St. - 7:16