Winter Approaches: Ice or Snow, You'll Be in the Know
Over the last couple years the Coos Bay School District has had a few delayed starts due to snow and ice around January and February. In order to prepare, we wanted to get a jump start on how you will be notified regarding school closures, delayed starts, and/or snow routes will be notified and what happens during those times.
School closure, delayed start and/or snow route decisions will typically be communicated to parents, media outlets, FlashAlert, and posted on the District website, Facebook and Twitter by 5:30 a.m. Parents and Guardians, please make sure your contact information is up to date. Your school's office will be happy to assist you. If an auto-dialer is sent out, the recording of the message will also be available at 541-267-6149.
We encourage families to make transportation and attendance decisions for their child(ren) based on their own assessment of travel conditions at their location.
When all district schools and facilities are closed
- All daytime and evening school activities/events on closure days are canceled.
When there is a 2-hour delay in opening school
- All schools will open two hours later than regularly scheduled.
- Buses will be on Snow Routes. Routes are posted on the transportation page.
When school is on time and buses are on Snow Routes
- All schools operate on regular daily schedules.
- Routes impacted by snow & ice are on a two-hour delay
- Snow routes are posted on the transportation page.
- If the weather forecast calls for declining weather conditions throughout the day, the district will implement snow routes for PM dismissal.
When weather conditions necessitate an early closure of schools
- We encourage you to refer to the CBSD website and local media for more detailed information.
- All daytime and evening activities/events are canceled.
Early Release School Days
- If there is inclement weather on an early release day, the District will decide the schedule on a case-by-case basis and notify parents appropriately.
(Photo taken by Teacher at Blossom Gulch February 2019)