School Board Resources
New Board Member Orientation
While newly elected candidates will not take office until July 1st, there is plenty they can do to be prepared when their term starts. This page outlines a majority of the information a new board member will need to learn before and after taking office.
Post Election Activities: Before July 1st
- Meet with the board secretary
- You will be contacted to schedule.
- Review the last three months of board meeting minutes
- Register for OSBA Summer Conference (or get prepared to register on July 1)
- Contact Sarah Eunice, Board Secretary to register by calling 541-267-1310 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Orientation of New Board Members -Policy BHA
- Welcome from OSBA
- Tips for new board members
- Code of Conduct BBF & BBFA
- Board Member Mandatory Reporting
- Virtual Meetings
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Roles and Responsibilities During COVID-19
- Board Self-Evaluation
- Board Chair
- Review and become familiar with basic information
- Review and become familiar with our departments and what they do
- Review Staff Directory
Month of July
- Watch OSBA New Member Orientation Webinar
- Read OSBA Boardsmanship Guide
- Sign into their OSBA account
- Sign into/get trained on Board Book (or other platform)
- Subscribe to OSBA OREdNews emails
- Attend OSBA Summer Conference
- Complete Online Volunteer Application for background check
- Set up district email - IT user agreement is required for email account. If you have not received and returned one, contact Sarah Eunice by calling 541-267-1310 or via email email@example.com
- Example email signature and legal disclaimer -
School Board Member
1255 Hemlock Ave.
Coos Bay, OR 97420
Important: Please do not reply or forward this communication because doing so might result in a decision or deliberation toward a decision between and among a quorum of a governing body which could be considered a public meeting. Electronic communications on district business are governed by Public Records and Meetings Law.