Inclement Weather Information
Coos Bay School District
Ice or Snow, Do We Go....to School?
The school district administration puts a great deal of effort and thought into determining whether to adjust the school schedule due to inclement weather. Each time a decision is made, many different interests and issues are taken into consideration; the primary decision factor is student safety. Of course, parents make the final decision when sending students to school during inclement weather.
When are decisions made? School district officials do their best to make the decision by no later than 5:30am. If there is a decision to have a two-hour delay, snow route, or school closure information will be posted on the District website: cbd9.net, Facebook and Twitter. To be notified of school delays, closures, or other emergencies, make sure to sign-up for FlashAlert.
We encourage families to make transportation and attendance decisions for their child(ren) based on their own assessment of travel conditions at their location.
When all district schools and facilities are closed
- All daytime and evening school activities/events on closure days are canceled.
When there is a 2-hour delay in opening school
- All schools will open two hours later than regularly scheduled.
- When will my bus come?
- Bus routes follow the same schedule as our schools. For example, if schools are delayed two hours, bus riders can expect the bus to come approximately two hours late. On the occasion when roads are not passable, the buses may use snow routes.
- If snow routes are implemented, that information will be a part of the communication. Routes are posted on the transportation page.
When school is on time and buses are on Snow Routes
- All schools operate on regular daily schedules.
- Routes impacted by snow & ice are on a two-hour delay
- Snow routes are posted on the transportation page.
- If the weather forecast calls for declining weather conditions throughout the day, the district will implement snow routes for PM dismissal.
When weather conditions necessitate an early closure of schools
- We encourage you to refer to the CBSD website and local media for more detailed information.
- All daytime and evening activities/events are canceled.
Early Release School Days
- If there is inclement weather on an early release day, the District will decide the schedule on a case-by-case basis and notify parents appropriately.