190 N. Wall, P.O. Box 3606 Coos Bay, OR 97420
541-888-1230 or 541-888-9131
Bus Routes for 2018-2019 School Year
Coos Bay School District contracts with First Student Transportation for all student transportation needs including daily bus routes to and from school, field trips and athletic/activities events. First Student is a key partner for the district and assures bus transportation safety for our students and staff. They assist the district with decisions related to school closure made necessary by unusual weather events that may cause hazardous driving conditions. There are 45 regular daily routes transporting 1,600 students throughout the district, 10 of those are special needs buses. Approximately 680,000 miles are driven annually on all routes. Additionally, another 80,000 miles are driven for school extracurricular activities First Student employs more than 50 drivers, 2 mechanics, 3 office staff and 1 manager. All bus drivers have all gone through extensive training, testing and a criminal record check. Drivers all have a valid First Aid card. Click each school for Route Information.
In the event of Snow/Ice, there will be areas that our buses will not be able to safely travel on. They are shown at the link below by Route #. The stops are highlighted in red and will be where those students can access transportation on those days. If the weather forecast calls for declining weather conditions throughout the day, the district will implement snow routes for PM dismissal.
School Bus Safety Features
First Student would like all parents to know that your children are safe and in good hands each time they ride on a First Student bus. The safety of the children we transport is at the core of all we do.
Did you know that riding a bus to school is the safest way for children to get to and from school?
It’s safer than walking, riding a bike or even riding in the family car—13 times safer according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Every First Student school bus is packed with safety features to protect our riders, with advanced features including:
- As the leader in school transportation safety, First Student was the first to install Safety Crossing Gates on the front of all buses to keep children from crossing directly in front of the bus so drivers can better see them.
- All First Student buses are equipped with an electronic reminder system, which aids drivers in checking for sleeping children at the end of each route.
- Flashing lights and extended stop arms warn motorists that children are boarding or unloading a bus.
- Every First Student bus is designed with well-anchored seats with high backs that are heavily padded to absorb impact and create a protective area.
- Smaller buses for preschool children and special needs students may utilize car seats or specialized restraint systems and can be staffed with an onboard attendant.
Safety is a core value at First Student. We pride ourselves on our safety record, dedicated personnel and overall performance. Safely transporting the 4 million children entrusted to us on our buses each day is a responsibility we take very seriously.